Saturday, March 6, 2010

girlie thoughts

Mind you, I'd be terrified if I was having a 'normal' girl. Make no doubt about that.

I know that my being scared about having Moxie isn't 100% to do with Ds. I mean, unless the amnio was wrong about her gender, she's a girl. And girls...girls are such complex creatures, so vulnerable. So strong. So multi-faceted.

In my chock-full-of-stereotypes mind, boys are just... easy. When they are little, it's about play and trains and gidgety gadgety. They need to be taught skills to pay the bills. Be personable. But life is really pretty straightforward and non-complex for most boys, I think.

It just doesn't seem to be that way with girls. Girls are faced with so much - they have such high expectations on them from society: be pretty and smart, have a successful career. Be a great wife, great mom. Not age much past 30. Have a hot body at 50 (thank you, Madonna). Bear babies, breastfeed and have perky boobs - forever. Shave our legs. And so much more.

I've always been scared of having a daughter - a child that I'll love with all my heart and a child that will probably break my heart over what she'll have to go through in the course of her girl-life.

In some ways, if Moxie does have Ds, a chunk of that pressure and worry will automatically fall off. That would be a relief. A very good thing. I'd be far less worried about guiding her through the myriad of stressors, much more concerned with her just being happy and fulfilled as a person. And it seems like while with most 'normal' girls, societal expectations are sky-high for what they can/will/should accomplish in the course of their lives, they are at an amazing low for anyone with Ds. It seems like if she does anything at all, she'll be an instant success.

Maybe that's not so bad, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment