Saturday, February 6, 2010

book bouncing

I am so freakin' sluggish today. It's depressing that I seem to need a longer nap that Micah does AND I'm still yawning. I want a caffeinated beverage so bad it hurts. But I won't allow myself more than one half-caff/day and I've already used my quota. Rats.

Moving on from the whine, I started reading Love You to Pieces. I have to say... I'm not a fan. Maybe it gets better, but so far I'm really taken aback by the mothers. Partly the things they do that are meant to be innocuous (like chain smoking around them, feeding them fruit loops, stuff like that) and then the stuff that's just... horrible. Smacking their kids' head in a wall. I closed it after that story - nothing about it is helpful to me. The poetry stuff doesn't do much either. It's a far cry from Gifts - where the mothers are faced with huge grief and difficulty and go through it. And talk about it. It's not just left hanging, like it is in Love You. There hasn't been resolution so far in that one - it's like a dumping ground of emotion.

Maybe I'll get back to giving it another chance after I'm done with the book I moved on to - Riding the Bus with my Sister.

This one is terrific! She is a writer. It's just beautiful. While her sister doesn't have Ds, it still makes me feel good - it's simply the type of good that I'd enjoy regardless of any Ds/disability connection.

Good books can be hard to find, can't they?

Now I want to go back and veg out on the couch and read more. But I shouldn't. I don't have any more good books waiting in the wings so I need to take it slow with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment