Wednesday, February 24, 2010

a full name for moxie

I've been almost obsessed with Moxie's middle name... I just can't find the perfect one. It's funny, too, because I feel like the obsession that I've got with her middle name is what most people normally have with the first name. The thing is, I don't feel like we had much choice with her first name.

She kind of just named herself. This is who she is. Nothing else fit. Unless at birth she turns out to be completely different than she has been so far, Moxie she is.

So that leaves her middle name.

One of the things that I really liked when I was engaged in Hawaiian studies were the naming practices. They'd pick the best names ever for their kids (usually when they were a little older). Names like, 'child-born-on-the-night-full-of-stars-to-parents-in-love-and-who-shows-courage-and-strength-may-she-be-wise'. That's why most Hawaiian names are like, "Kealani'ahea'a'pono'amoku'aina'leilani"....but you can call me "Kea". On a side note, I also worked in the Records office and we had to try and hand calligraphy in those hella long names in the tiny degree-entitled to spot...!!! That was so funny.

It finally occurred to me that I ought to write to my old department and ask them for help! So I dug up a former professor from the website and wrote him. He wrote back immediately, said he'd ask some others about it. It's been 2 days and I'm happy. Hopeful.

So what do I want? I want something like:

child-born-from-love-guarded-by-angels-protected-by-God-and-who-lives-in-shining-light-and-happiness

..but you can call me Moxie

No comments:

Post a Comment