Sunday, January 17, 2010

on the road map

I'm reading Road Map to Holland now. I feel like such a snob because I tend to get distracted when I feel like she's trying too hard to write well and/or when she gets repetitious in her writing patterns.

Like, to backtrack and explain something, she's got a tendency to start off with "when...". She likes splicing and dicing present and past (I guess to shake things up) but does it a little too fast. The combination of the both distract me.

Choosing Naia's author had similar tendencies to use the same ways to backtrack - he'd make some kind of a statement and then you just KNEW this hellaciously long-winded explanation was coming up. And boy did it ever- he'd start from the very origins of whatever (institutions, drugs, certain people's stories - you name it) and draw the whole thing out till you almost forgot you were reading a story about a little girl with Ds who was about to come into the world.

I feel kind of guilty writing about this at all since I myself am not a good writer. How dare I sit back on my high horse and get all critique-y with folk that write books that I'm glad were written?

Shame on you, meriah!

1 comment:

  1. I have twins (one with Ds and one who doesn't have Ds) and I never read Jennifer's book. Cannot bring myself to either. I cannot relate to her and her struggles. I hope, if you can get past the wording, you can take something away with you from the book. Cannot wait til your daughter is born so we can see how gorgeous she is!

    ReplyDelete