Sunday, January 3, 2010

ready reading

I stayed in the bathtub till the water was completely cold last night, finishing 'Gifts'. Oh my.

Some of those stories... like the one whose baby girl died at two and half of leukemia... She wrote, "Cariana showed me that merely seeing an analysis of someone's chromosomes tells you next to nothing about the person herself, and that the most important questions can never be answered by a blood test. No test can tell us who are children will be, or what each child might bring into the world."

Those words pierce in their truth, don't they. And make me cry. Again.

In this reading list that I seem to be developing, Gifts is present. So is Expecting Adam. Choosing Naia can be left out (I think overall, that angle that it's written is just too depressing and the writing itself isn't very good).

And now... I don't have any more books! I'm all out. So I went on to the (free!) library website to see what books they have related to Ds, and lo! There is even one with a romance-tint!

Just Beyond the Clouds, a Christian love story! It says, "Cody, mourning his late wife, objects to his brother Carl's wish for independence, wanting to keep Carl, who has Down's Syndrome, close to home, but when Elle, Carl's teacher, champions his cause, Cody begins to develop unexpected feelings for her."

Oooooh, la la! I think that's just the ticket.

No comments:

Post a Comment