Saturday, January 30, 2010

an unexpected poppy

This is a video I posted on my general family blog:

object width="425" height="344">

It's my boy, waving and trying to sign at an airplane.

I just can't get over this signing bit with him. Even though I'm (little 'd') deaf, I don't sign much and wasn't doing a very good job of teaching him to sign much more than 'all done', 'shoes', stuff like that. Not more than any other child here in Stroller City learns (it's so in vogue to be baby signing).

Then when I was starting to digest Moxie's positive Ds diagnosis and heard about kids with Ds learning sign - and how important it is- I was all over us all getting a head start. Rented every*single baby signing video from netflix, every*single one from the library, to see which worked the best for us. Which, incidentally, turned out to be "Baby Signing Time". Micah's signing has SHOT OFF - he easily learned 15 or so words in a week - he took to it like the proverbial duck to water.

It's so funny to me that here we started to try and learn and sign mostly for Moxie, and lo! It's what Micah was evidently wanting us to do for him all along.

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog through DS new mama. Congratulations on your pregnancy - DS has changed my husband and I's life so dramatically FOR THE BETTER - you can get to know our little Emily (born 5/18/09) better at http://livinglifewithes.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete